Saturday 9 October 2021

Shortened Sight

My sight beheld the honeyed plane

In a place where no man would wish to be

It peered towards, infinity 

My sight shortened, and yet saw more




But not by eyes, not these instruments that glow. 

But by another, I cannot know 


Imagine if you but would 

The noblest of us all, rejected, cursed 

And made to run from children throwing stones 

And when the angel did appear to his command 


He offered a chance that their children might right 

The wrong they did that day, etched upon our memories 

So that when all Arabia in turmoil did revolt 

Not so the Children of Taif, they did not bend 


The Messenger’s hopes were well founded

But greater still those words laid out a choice 

Made clear that their chance would appear 

And thus it did and they proved true. 


The power of hope cannot be thwarted

Not by all false religions that brood with fear 

That cause men to wrong, to wrong .. 

and yet think they right. 


That they be justified in their denial 

Of God’s goodness being not restrained 

His hands are not tied, you fools, you lie

But peace is upon those who believe


And they do not have to be your people, your kin.  

No fear with attach to them, nor will they grieve. 


I was given the sight to know. 

That I would protected, in that worst of places 

That I would not stop, nor bend with fear

That I might offer the choice to one other


Who has proved true, this long year all through 

Let not fear, nor obfuscating argument be your screen 

Choose with your heart, and feel real. 


(C) Shafees, London 

9th October 2021

2 comments:

Shafeesthoughts said...

I tell you
I tell you
I hath not lied.

Shafeesthoughts said...

Maybe this was what the Quran terms “Ayn al-Qalb” lit. the eye of the heart. Or maybe better the sight of the heart.

And maybe it is called so because when you look, you look with your eyes, but you see with your heart. And God knows best.

Indeed when God wants to curse a person He makes fair seeming to them their actions, and they justify the evil that they do so easily.

And when He wants to do good to a person then He makes clear the choice (between belief and disbelief). And that is a far far blessed place to be in, than to live life without the clear choice being presented.

And as for me, by God’s good grace .. I call to the religion of truth. And that is the greatest gift that any could have.

This year of writing has been a blessing, in my advocation of truth.

May you, my dear reader, glean from it the best and be elevated by reason of it. Aameen.